The photograph taken in 1900 portrays The Gun Inn and landlord Arthur Payne who ran the Inn for over thirty years.
At this time soldiers from Hurst Castle who frequented
their own inn on the spit, would prefer to visit The Gun Inn when opportunity arose. It was here where they sampled the local brew and if weather permitted, sat outside ogling the local wenches.
Since the 1700’s the Gun Inn has been used for many
different purposes from a mortuary to a bakers. So beware of the ghosts who might be lurking just round the corner…